By: Paul S. Cilwa Viewed: 1/26/2021
Occurred: 5/24/2020
Topics/Keywords: #Coronavirus #Maui Page Views: 227
Slow and steady wins the race. Or you can take a nap.

On 28 acres of Maui realness, there is no end of things that need doing. At this stage of our occupation, most of that involves cleanup of the trash remaining from previous projects (like building our cabin). On the other hand, unlike in every job I've ever had, there's no deadline or even schedule. So each morning I ask myself: Do I want to actually get anything done today, or should I just goof off?

Feel free to tap or click on any photo to see it full-screen. From there, browse all the pictures on the page by tapping or clicking on the arrows on the side. If you have a full-sized keyboard, you may also use the arrow keys. Click on the picture to toggle viewing any captions that may be present.

Take yesterday morning, for example. I was up early and would happily have begun the day with some work. But the weather app on my phone predicted a rainy day, and certainly there were clouds enough to believe it.

The problem is, the weather app shows the nearest town, Hana, which is three miles away. But the weather in Hana seldom matches what we get. It can literally be raining in Hana while our skies look like this (and vice versa).

However, most of the afternoon was, indeed, rainy. So Keith and I mostly hung out in the cabin.

The clouds, of course, make for subtle and ingenious sunsets.

So…another day shot. But not, because even though nothing was "accomplished"we had a pleasant day. Part of the lesson of this time of coronavirus is exactly that.

This morning somehow looked more promising even though the doggies woke me for breakfast at 5 AM.

And I did have a project in mind.

The washer and dryer are located in Zach's Container, near the shipping doors, which have to be opened when the units are in use for drainage and ventilation. But the drainage was exacerbating the mud that collects on the ground there anyway.

So my project was to move 12 of the ruined-by-rain bags of cement to the muddy area. This would give me stepping stones to get to the door (to open it) without getting muddy. They could also provide a base for an eventual deck, which I assume Zach intends to build there, eventually.

Each bag is 50 pounds and I did this while Keith was on a project of his own, so it was quite the workout.

After a lengthy warm soak in the cowboy tub, and a gorgeous sunset and crescent moon, Keith and I had dinner (cooked in the microwave, chicken marsala) and watched Maleficent:Mistress of Evil.

The next chore: loading this scrap metal into the back of Zach's truck and taking it to the recycling center. And I might do it tomorrow. Or I might do it the day after.

In the time of coronavirus, I'm pretty much on my own schedule.