By: Paul S. Cilwa Viewed: 1/23/2021
Occurred: 3/17/2020
Topics/Keywords: #Maui Page Views: 229
Taking social isolation to an extreme.

We were supposed to move to Maui at the end of January. Luckiily, just before I actually bought the tickets, I was told there would be a delay in the building of the bamboo hut in which Keith and I am supposed to live; and, therefore, a delay in our traveling there might be prudent.

I did buy the tickets for our flights for late February…only to be told the hut was still being constructed—or maybe it was being designed—but, whatever the holdup was, we didn't take the flight in February.

But my grandson, Zach, who was on the property trying to get it set up for us, made alternate plans (because our lease was up and we had to move) and promised a 200 square foot shed with windows and a beautiful view would be ready when we arrived.

Because of the dogs, who were to move with us, and to faciliate shipping our car, Keith and I planned to travel separately. I was to fly first, so I would be on the island to receive the dogs when they arrived. Keith had to be home to hand the dogs over to the pet moving person.

So I planned the dates carefully: I would fly out on the 23rd; the dogs on the 24th; Keith would turn in the keys on the 25th and drive to Long Beach, where he would take the car to the shipper, and then board a flight to Maui out of Los Angeles.

Meanwhile, my daughter, Jenny (the one who actually owns the property) and her toddlers had planned to visit the property for Spring Break. (Yes, even toddlers' schools close for Spring Break!) And I really wanted to spend at least a little time with my grandbabies on Maui. I found I could reschedule my flight with ease, so that I would overlap with Jenny's visit by a couple of days.

And then the coronavirus, COVID-19, became a thing.

So when I arrived at the airport I found it filled with uncertainty. About a third of them wore surgical masks, which (at the time) we'd been told wouldn't help. (Since then, the CDC has reversed its position on that topic.) On the other hand, about a third of them, ones in groups, were openly scornful of those worried about the disease, laughing and shaking hands with each other for no reason. And the remaining third, like me, just wanted to arrive and be allowed to land—due to "plague"which once prevented Mark Twain from landing in Honolulu, wnich resulted in his being diverted to Maui.

But I was flying through Honolulu.

Feel free to tap or click on any photo to see it full-screen. From there, browse all the pictures on the page by tapping or clicking on the arrows on the side. If you have a full-sized keyboard, you may also use the arrow keys. Click on the picture to toggle viewing any captions that may be present.

Luckily, my grandson, Zach, happened to be in Kahului that evening, picking up supplied. So I called him, and within a half hour we were both in his truck, starting out on the nearly 2-hour drive to Hana.

I was not to spend my first night on the property. Jenny and the kids had a suite at the Travaasa Hana Maui resort; and Jenny had gotten me a cot. So I was able to take a shower and collapse after a hard days' traveling, and relief.

But my adventure in moving to another state in the time of the Coronavirus wasn't over, not by a long shot. I still had to get the dogs, my husband, and our car over here…before the whole world became locked down for some indeterminate period of time.